Milleja46 Projects
Milleja46 Projects
Milleja46 Projects
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum designed about programming, projects, games, and more.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Suggestions

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Davidsen

Suggestions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: About the game   Suggestions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 8:20 pm

well, i have a question.

which one would you prefer, making a game in C++ windows app etc. or making a game in PHP?

i can say that you can make the game have more functions or options than in C++, and i have a little more knowledge in how to proceed with a browser game making with PHP, but i have very little knowledge in php, but can learn it.
Back to top Go down
http://making-money-with-gdi.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 8:22 pm

Why don't we do c++ i need to learn it and we all do to i will learn it as soon as i put the offline install on my computer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 8:23 pm

Ask Neotifa for her ideas to, if she is still helping on this.
Back to top Go down
Davidsen

PostSubject: About the game   Suggestions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 8:26 pm

alright, i'll go with C++ too then, but we need more knowledge in how to make the game, game development process, i'll try to find the topic i once found.

and i'll ask neotifa when she comes online.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 8:27 pm

Check your pm. It says to go to tools and then go to map ed 3. I will talk to you tommorow i am going to bed.
Back to top Go down
Davidsen

PostSubject: About the game   Suggestions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 8:30 pm

that can be used to make the map, but we'll need to create the tiles, once you finish the map(drawing), we can create the tiles, using either paint or photoshop.
Back to top Go down
Davidsen

PostSubject: About the game   Suggestions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 8:41 pm

But the Verge game engine is still in alpha development, meaning that its not fully completed
Back to top Go down
Davidsen

PostSubject: About the game   Suggestions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 8:52 pm

I have found alternates for game engines, all based on 2d and c++, which should be way better than verge:

SFML
http://www.sfml-dev.org/

Haaf's Game Engine
http://hge.relishgames.com/

Grim2D
http://koti.mbnet.fi/temper/grim/

PopCap
http://sourceforge.net/projects/popcapframework/

but i would recommend SFML, since a version for the Visual c++ 2008 can be downloaded
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 4:24 am

Okay i will check them out later i have very little time today to check it out until tonight when i get home.
Back to top Go down
NeoTifa
Admin
NeoTifa

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 2:18 pm

*takes a really really deep breath* Suspect You guys have no idea what you're doing do you? *sigh* Okay, first off, since you guys have no idea what-so-ever what you're doing when it comes to making your own game, I would suggest:

1. Put the idea of an mmorpg out of your head. At this point, it is not going to happen.
  2. Forget searching for an engine. Make your own. If you don't know how the language works, then you're not going to know how the engine works. Besides, with a custom engine you created yourself, you'll be able to know exactly what it does, all its features, what it's capable of, etc.
  3. Until you have a complete solid storyline, don't even think about the code.
  4. In fact, you don't even have a solid plan for the game! The language, the graphics library, the specs, story line, UI, how it's run, class structure, object structure, how the tiles scroll, how the sprites move, 2D/3D, etc.
  5. Get your plan together, a good solid one, including solid storyline, then evolve into a annotated game plan/script, then learn to code.
  6. Learn to code, start out with something small like tic-tac-toe or rock, paper, scissors. Then evolve to pong or a space shooter, then move up to an rpg. An mmorpg is the last thing you should be focusing on when you don't even know a programming language.

Now, I'm not trying to discourage you guys, but the amount of fail you are setting yourselves up for is almost heart-breaking. Follow my plan. At this rate, with your stubborn-ness and inability to compromise, it's not gonna get past a half-written storyline and maybe a few character designs before you get overwhelmed and give up. Trust me, it's not going to happen right away. Have you seen my game-plan for my game project in Java? I'm counting on 10 years. Hope this has been a little bit of a reality check. I don't mean to discourage you, but you have to come into reality a bit. Thanks for reading. I'll help you guys get on track a little bit, but please, for the love of all things holy, don't expect immediate results.
Back to top Go down
http://projectn00b.forumotion.net

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 4:16 pm

Well i know a little of the language now. I had learned it last year and had messed around with it but then forgot it. And i know how to make a game just not in code. That is the problem here i had a map but have no idea where it is and no way to upload it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 4:51 pm

Back to top Go down
Davidsen

PostSubject: Suggestions   Suggestions - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 10:15 am

Milleja, we need to forget about all these tutorials to programming or whatsoever, we need to focus on the documentation of the game, and thats what i suggested about the game design document.
Back to top Go down
Inkhosi

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 4:29 am

Hi

I have read a lot of your posts and agree with NeoTifa on the plan of action she put forward. I looked for the GDD I did at Uni but couldn't find it, so I found some good document templates here
[link]http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1965.asp[/link]. gamedev.net has shed loads of other game development goodies, but these templates are a good place to start. Once you have a good design document then you can put the game together a lot more easily and are less likely to fail.

Peace

Inkhosi

study
Back to top Go down
Davidsen

PostSubject: Suggestions   Suggestions - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 11:13 am

Tell that to milleja, i agree with neotifa as well, but i don't think milleja wants to do it that way.
Back to top Go down
milleja46
Admin
milleja46

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 12:55 pm

That's the way i plan on doing it as soon as i have something i know we can make it with but i am having troubles figuring out how to set the engine up. I tried troll 2d and went to their support but had to leave because of some of the things i saw there. I need to find a way to set some of these up. When they distribute them they give you the c++ files and you have to configure it yourself and no one else knows how to set it up, or will tell you
Back to top Go down
https://milleja46.forumotion.net
Davidsen

PostSubject: Story of the game   Suggestions - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 5:30 pm

You can worry about setting up the engine when all the other things are done.

and you need to compile the C++ files using an IDE with a compiler.
Back to top Go down
milleja46
Admin
milleja46

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 7:07 pm

I figured as much but i need to find a guide so i do it right i thought about troll 2d but when i run the installer that they include i don't get the files i am supposed to get.
Back to top Go down
milleja46
Admin
milleja46

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 7:27 pm

Back to top Go down
NeoTifa
Admin
NeoTifa

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 10:12 am

Okay, since you obviously have no idea what programming even entails, I'll will show you a snippet of my engine I was working on back in the day in Java. This is just a half-%^$ class I started, ONE CLASS IN MY VAST LIBRARY, and its already 813 lines of code half done. This code does nothing btw. If you want to see a screen shot of it in my IDE check out my Twitter. I'm neotifa btw.

Code:

/**
 * @author Erica Boyer
 * @datecreated 19 Mar 2009
 * @lastupdate 30 May 2009
 * This is the class for an rpg character. It can be used for the user's players,
 * npc's, and  enemies. Basically, it just sets the player up with basic stats,
 * job (optional), gender, and such.
 * >>To be converted to C++ later.
 */

import javax.swing.*;

public class Player {

public enum Job {WARRIOR, KNIGHT, BMAGE, WMAGE}
    public enum Status {NORMAL, KO, POISON, SLEEP, PETRIFIED, CURSED, BLIND}
    public enum Gender {MALE, FEMALE}

private final int initHp = 15;                      //Initial hit points
    private final int initMp = 5;                      //Initial magic points
    private final int initXp = 0;                      //Initial experience
    private final int initLvl = 1;                      //Initial level
    private final int initMaleStr = 4;                  //Initial male strength
    private final int initFemaleStr = 3;                //Initial female strength
    private final int initMaleEnd = 3;                  //Initial male endurance
    private final int initFemaleEnd = 2;                //Initial female endurance
    private final int initMaleInt = 2;                  //Initial male intelligence
    private final int initFemaleInt = 4;                //Initial female intelligence
    private final int initMaleDex = 3;                  //Initial male dexerity
    private final int initFemaleDex = 4;                //Initial female dexerity
    private final int initLuck = 2;                    //They start out the same luck

private final int lvlUpFirst5 = 50;                //Amount of experience needed to level up the first 5 levels
    private final int lvlUp6Thru20 = 100;              //Amount of experience needed to level up levels 6 through 20
    private final int lvlUp21Thru50 = 200;              //Amount of experience needed to level up levels 21 through 50
    private final int jLvlUp = 10;                      //Amount of job experience needed to level up a job
    private final int lvlUpHp = 4;                      //Amount of hit points gained every level up 
    private final int lvlUpMp = 2;                      //Amount of magic points gained every level up
    private final int lvlUpStat = 1;                    //Amount of str, end, dex, and luck gained every level up
    private final int maxLvl = 50;                      //Max level a character can be
    private final int maxJlvl = 10;                    //Max level a characters job can be

private int jLvl;                                  //Holds the level of the jobs held by the character
    private int jStr;                                  //Holds the stegth the class gives initially
    private int jEnd;                                  //Holds the endurance the class gives initially
    private int jDex;                                  //Holds the dexterity the class gives initially
    private int jInt;                                  //Holds the intelligence the class gives initially
    private int jLuck;                                  //Holds the luck the class gives initially
    private int jHpBonus;                              //Holds the bonus hit points the characters job gives
    private int jMpBonus;                              //Holds the bonus magic points the characters job gives

private String name;                                //Holds the characters name
    private Gender gender;                              //Holds the characters gender
    private Job job;                                    //Holds the characters job
    private int hp;                                    //Holds the characters hit points
    private int mp;                                    //Holds the characters magic points
    private int jp;                                    //Holds the characters job points (experience for jobs)
    private int maxHp;                                  //Holds the max hit points the character has
    private int maxMp;                                  //Holds the mas magic points the character has
    private long xp;                                    //Holds the characters experience points
    private int lvl;                                    //Holds the characters level
    private int str;                                    //Holds the characters strength (double due to Warriors focus ability)
    private int end;                                    //Holds the characters endurance
    private int Int;                                    //Holds the characters intelligence
    private int dex;                                    //Holds the characters dexterity
    private int luck;                                  //Holds the characters luck
    private Status status;                              //Holds the characters status
    private final int xpGained = lvl * 2;              //The amount of experience given per victory (enemies lvl * 2);

private final int poisonDamage = 5;                //How much damage being poisoned does a turn

/**No-Arg Constructor Player
    * Sets up all the stats the the character will need.
    * @param none
    */
    public Player() {

setName("New Character");
        setJob(Job.WARRIOR);                    //need to get Job from chooser or other class. Default is warrior

setMaxHp(initHp + end);
        setMaxMp(initMp + Int);

setHp(maxHp);
        setMp(maxMp);
        setJp(0);

setXp(initXp);
        setLvl(initLvl);

if (gender.equals(Gender.MALE)) {
            setStr(initMaleStr);
        } else if (gender.equals(Gender.FEMALE)) {
            setStr(initFemaleStr);
        }

setEnd(initMaleEnd);
            setEnd(initFemaleEnd);
        }

setDex(initMaleDex);
            setDex(initFemaleDex);
        }

setLuck(initLuck);

setInt(initMaleInt);
            setInt(initFemaleInt);
        }

setStatus(Status.NORMAL);

//INCOMPLETE!!!!!!!!!!!!

}//End constructor

/** Level Defined Constructor
    * Sets the stats up according to the level given
    * @param lvl The level of the character created
    */
    public Player(int lvl) {

setName("");                                        //To be set in main game loop or something
        setJob(Job.WARRIOR);
        setLvl(lvl);     
        setMaxHp(initHp + lvl * lvlUpHp * end);
        setMaxMp(initMp + lvl * lvlUpMp * Int);

setHp(maxHp);
        setMp(maxMp);
        setJp(0);

setStr(initMaleStr);
            setStr(initFemaleStr);
        }

setEnd(initMaleEnd);
            setEnd(initFemaleEnd);
        }

setDex(initMaleDex);
            setDex(initFemaleDex);
        }

setLuck(initLuck);

setInt(initMaleInt);
            setInt(initFemaleInt);
        }

}//End Level Defined Constructor

/** Name-Level Defined Constructor
    * Sets the stats up according to the name and level given
    * @param name Name of the character
    * @param lvl Level of the character
    */

public Player(String name, int lvl) {

setName(name);                                        //To be set in main game loop or something
        setJob(Job.WARRIOR);
        setLvl(lvl);     

setHp(maxHp);
        setMp(maxMp);
        setJp(0);

setStr(initMaleStr);
            setStr(initFemaleStr);
        }

setEnd(initMaleEnd);
            setEnd(initFemaleEnd);
        }

setDex(initMaleDex);
            setDex(initFemaleDex);
        }

setLuck(initLuck);

setInt(initMaleInt);
            setInt(initFemaleInt);
        }

}//End Name-Level Defined Constructor

/** Name-Level-Job Defined Constructor
    * Sets the stats of the character according to name, level, and job given
    * @param name Name of the character
    * @param lvl Level of the character
    * @param job Job of the character
    */

public Player(String name, int lvl, Job job){

setName(name);                                        //To be set in main game loop or something
        setJob(job);
        setLvl(lvl);     

setHp(maxHp);
        setMp(maxMp);
        setJp(jLvl * jLvlUp);

setStr(initMaleStr);
            setStr(initFemaleStr);
        }

setEnd(initMaleEnd);
            setEnd(initFemaleEnd);
        }

setDex(initMaleDex);
            setDex(initFemaleDex);
        }

setLuck(initLuck);

setInt(initMaleInt);
            setInt(initFemaleInt);
        }

}//End Name-Level-Job Defined constructor

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    //~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~//
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

/** setName method
    * Sets the name of the character
    * @param name Holds the String with the characters name
    */
    public void setName(String name) {

this.name = name;

}//End setName

/** getName method
    * Returns the name of the character
    * @return name
    */
    public String getName() {

return (name);

}//End getName

/** setGender method
    * Sets the gender of the character
    * Pre-Conditon: Has to be either male or female. If using a wierd
    * race with 3 genders, this class doesn't support it. lol.
    * @param gender
    */
    public void setGender(Gender gender) {

this.gender = gender;

}//End setGender

/** getGender method
    * Returns the gender of the character
    * @return gender
    */
    public Gender getGender() {

return (gender);

}//End getGender

/** setHp method
    * Sets the hit points of the character
    * @param hp Holds the hit points
    */
    public void setHp(int hp) {

this.hp = hp;
        this.hp = this.hp + end;

}//End setHp

/** getHp method
    * Returns the hit points of the character
    * @return hp
    */
    public int getHp() {

return (hp);

}//End getHp

/** setMp method
    * Sets the magic points of the character
    * @param mp Holds the magic points of the character
    */
    public void setMp(int mp) {

this.mp = mp;
        this.mp = this.mp + jInt;

}//End setMp

/** getMp method
    * Returns the magic points of the character
    * @return mp
    */
    public int getMp() {

return (mp);

}//End getMp

/** setMaxHp method
    * Sets the max hit points the character has
    * @param maxHp The max hit points
    */

public void setMaxHp(int maxHp) {

this.maxHp = maxHp;

}//End setMaxHp

/** getMaxHp method
    * Returns the max hit points of the character
    * @return maxHp
    */

public int getMaxHp() {

return (maxHp);

}//End getMaxHp

/** setMaxMp method
    * Sets the max magic points the character has
    * @param maxMp
    */

public void setMaxMp(int maxMp) {

this.maxMp = maxMp;

}//End setMaxMp

/** getMaxMp method
    * Returns the max magic points the character has
    * @return maxMp
    */

public int getMaxMp() {

return (maxMp);

}//End getMaxHp

/** setJp method
    * Sets the job points the character has
    * @param jp The amount of job experience the player has
    */

public void setJp(int jp) {

this.jp = jp;

}//End setJp

/** getJp method
    * Returns the amount of job points a character has
    * @return jp Job points
    */

public int getJp() {

return (jp);

}//End getJp

/** setXp method
    * Sets the experience points of the character
    * @param xp Holds the experience points of the character
    */
    public void setXp(long xp) {

this.xp = xp;

}//End setXp

/** getXp method
    * Returns the experience points of the character
    * @return xp
    */
    public long getXp() {

return (xp);

}//End getXp

/** setLvl method
    * Sets the level of the character
    * @param lvl Holds the level of the character
    */
    public void setLvl(int lvl) {

this.lvl = lvl;

}//End setLvl

/** getLvl method
    * Returns the level of the character
    * @return lvl
    */
    public int getLvl() {

return (lvl);

}//End getLvl

/** setStr method
    * Sets the strength of the character
    * @param str Holds the strength of the character
    */
    public void setStr(int str) {

this.str = str;
        this.str = this.str + jStr;

}//End setStr

/** getStr method
    * Returns the strength of the character
    * @return str
    */
    public int getStr() {

return (str);

}//End getStr

/** setEnd method
    * Sets the endurance of the character
    * @param end Holds the endurance of the character
    */
    public void setEnd(int end) {

this.end = end;
        this.end = this.end + jEnd;

}//End setEnd

/** getEnd method
    * Returns the endurance of the character
    * @return end
    */
    public int getEnd() {

return (end);

}//End getEnd

/** setDex method
    * Sets the dexterity of the character
    * @param deex Holds the dexterity of the character
    */
    public void setDex(int dex) {

this.dex = dex;
        this.dex = this.dex + jDex;

}//End setDex

/** getDex method
    * Returns the dexterity of the character
    * @return dex
    */
    public int getDex() {

return (dex);

}//End getDex

/** setInt method
    * Sets the characters intelligence
    * @param Int The intelligence of the character
    */

public void setInt(int Int) {

this.Int = Int;
        this.Int = Int + jInt;

}//End setInt

/** getInt method
    * Returns the intelligence of the character
    * @return Int
    */

public int getInt() {

return (Int);

}//End getInt

/** setLuck method
    * Sets the luck of the character
    * @param luck Holds the luck of the character
    */
    public void setLuck(int luck) {

this.luck = luck;
        this.luck = this.luck + jLuck;

}//End setLuck

/** getLuck method
    * Returns the luck of the character
    * @return luck
    */
    public int getLuck() {

return (luck);

}//End getLuck

/** lvlUp method
    * Updates the status of the character when s/he levels up
    */
    public void lvlUp() {

while(lvl < maxLvl) {
            maxHp = maxHp + lvlUpHp;
            maxMp = maxMp + lvlUpMp;
            hp = maxHp;                                    //Restores all the characters hp on levelup
            mp = maxMp;                                    //Restores all the characters mp on levelup
            str = str + lvlUpStat;
            end = end + lvlUpStat;
            dex = dex + lvlUpStat;
            luck = luck + lvlUpStat;

lvl = lvl + 1;
        }//End while

while(lvl == maxLvl){

JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "You are already at the maximum level!!!");      //Display method will change

}//End while

}//End lvlUp

/** setStatus method
    * Sets the status of the character
    * @param status Holds the status of the character
    */
    public void setStatus(Status status) {

this.status = status;

if(hp == 0) {

status = Status.KO;

}//End if

switch (status) {

case NORMAL: {

}//End normal case

case KO: {

}//End ko case

case POISON: {

//hp = hp - poisonDamage;

}//End poison case

case SLEEP: {

}//End sleep case

case PETRIFIED: {

}//End petrified case

case CURSED: {

}//End cursed case

case BLIND: {

}//End blind case

default: {
            }//End default

}//End switch

}//End setStatus

/** getStatus method
    * Returns the status of the character
    * @return status
    */
    public Status getStatus() {

return (status);

}//End getStatus

/** setJob method
    * Sets the job/class of the character
    * @param job Holds the job/class of the character
    */
    private void setJob(Job job) {

http://this.job = job;

switch (job) {

case WARRIOR: {

jStr = 2;
                jEnd = 2;
                jDex = 1;
                jInt = 0;
                jLuck = 0;

}//End WARRIOR case

case KNIGHT: {

jStr = 4;
                jEnd = 3;
                jDex = -2;
                jInt = 2;
                jLuck = 3;

}//End KNIGHT case

case BMAGE: {

jStr = -1;
                jEnd = 1;
                jDex = 3;
                jInt = 4;
                jLuck = 2;

}//End BMAGE case

case WMAGE: {

jStr = -1;
                jEnd = 1;
                jDex = 3;
                jInt = 4;
                jLuck = 2;

}//End WMAGE case

default: {

job = Job.WARRIOR;

}//End default

}//End switch

}//End setJob method

/** getJob method
    * Returns the job of the character
    * @return job
    */

public Job getJob() {

return(job);

}//End getJob

}//End Player class
Back to top Go down
http://projectn00b.forumotion.net
milleja46
Admin
milleja46

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 11:28 am

Well i am working on my c++ opengl skills from a site i found here it is: http://www.xoax.net/comp/cpp/index.php
if you were to look at that which ones should i do to get more aqquated than i already am? I have partially looked at the part on open gl and got to #3 and i am working on the one where you are drawing the american flag and it gets a little difficult when you start doing that.
Back to top Go down
Davidsen

PostSubject: Suggestions   Suggestions - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 5:17 pm

Milleja, you can't just keep switching from a subject to another, you need to focus on learning first C++, learning Opengl comes later, if you just keep doing it like this, your learning will be very slower.
Back to top Go down
milleja46
Admin
milleja46

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 5:56 pm

Well have you even visited that xoax.net link? they have quite a bit of tutiorals there, and until i can get home i will not be able to learn it.
Back to top Go down
Davidsen

PostSubject: Suggestion   Suggestions - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 7:14 pm

Milleja, i suggest that you, for the time being, stop looking for an engine for the game, or searching for something that can help make the game faster and just CONCENTRATE on sharpening you skill in C++, no matter how you do it, it will take months to finish the game. After you've learned decent C++, you can concentrate on the other things, engine for the game, getting team members(coders, artists etc.), the GDD etc. If you just keep getting side-tracked on other things, it will slow your learning.
Back to top Go down
milleja46
Admin
milleja46

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 7:29 pm

I am not getting side tracked i am trying to learn while making this game. But it is going to get hard for me learn soon, school starts back monday, and soon after eoc's and then new semester with little computer classes. I got most of the classes i could look at this stuff this semester which sucks for next one since i will not have time to look at this except on weekends, and after school.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Suggestions
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Milleja46 Projects :: Ahhh.......Memories :: Old, Locked topics-
Jump to: